Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Bar down center of tramp on nacra 5.2  Bottom

• My 1972 Prindle 16 is pretty beat up and I'm considering upgrading to a newer and nicer Nacra 5.2. I've been trying to think of all the pros and cons and I have a question to all the 5.2 owners (past & present)out there: is the bar down the center of the tramp much of a hinderance or pain in the butt? I've seen some boats with it and some without - the one I'm looking at right now is with. Thoughts?

BTW - what's it for? Support?

Thanks!

--
    Scott
    1982 Nacra 5.2 "Great White"
    Ledbetter Beach, Santa Barbara, CA
    --
  • The main thing it accomplishes is keeping the beams from rotating, as they're not directly attached to the hulls. You can remove it and sink a couple rivets through the straps of the main beam keep it from rotating.

--
    Rob
    OKC
    Pile of Nacra parts..
    --
  • I think the main purpose of the bar is to keep the main beam from rotating. Some owners remove the bar and add rivets to the main beam straps to keep the beam from rotating. I have read that some owners like to place there feet on the bar when flying a hull. Others say the beam is a knee knocker. You would have the opportunity to try it both ways and see which is for you.
  • awesome Rob & Steve! Thanks for the quick replies. Knowing that I could remove it without too much trouble is very good to know and makes me more interested in the boat!

--
    Scott
    --
  • Here are some 5.2 photos with out the center tube.http://www.thebeachcats.c…pictures&g2_itemId=35563

Here are some with the center tube.http://www.thebeachcats.c…pictures&g2_itemId=75121

More http://www.thebeachcats.c…pictures&g2_itemId=74145

edited by: skarr1, Sep 16, 2010 - 08:59 PM
  • Thanks Steve! I definitely prefer it without and those photos confirm it, although when I take it for a test sail (and if I buy it) I'll see if the bar is an issue first.

--
    Scott
    --
  • I made myself a new tramp this past winter and I had a hard time deciding whether or not to add the center beam cover. I saved some material for it just in case but this season confirms I do not need the center bar. The boat is much more roomy and tacks are easier, especially with crew. I have now used the material for an anchor bag. I did use some beefy rivets on the main beam straps though!

To remove you need to drill out the rivets on the main beam casting that holds the center bar on. Then pull it forward off its rear casting. You can then cut down the rear casting (just the bit that would normally be inside the bar) so you won't bang your knees on it.

I'd say; go for it!
  • I would like to remove my center bar. Is there anyone out there who wishes they didn't?

--
    Nacra 5.2
    --
  • Also it is hard to believe that the only pupose is to keep the front and back beams from rotating

--
    Nacra 5.2
    --
  • the tramp on my boat is 28years old and has been restitched MANY times

i like the extra support it gives to such an old tramp, gives a nice solidity when i walk up the mast

the age of the tramp is the same reason i am slow to cut slots in the tramp for under-tramp jib wires

if i were to sail with crew more often i guess i would take it out, as they really struggle to get through that little gap during a racing tack/gybe

the factory boats from 1985?-1992? did without it and used bolts through the bottom of the beam into captive nuts in the hulls. in fact pretty much all round beam nacras did that without any adverse affects

with a new tramp i would go ahead...
  • Erice, taking the center bar out should actually lessen the strain on the old tramp!
    The stress points are on the stitching just to the left and right of the "tunnel". Those tunnels are held on by a single row of stitching (or they were on my old tramp). That is exactly the spot where my old tramp started to rip while I was stepping the mast (solo)! That was quite scary actually. I was glad the boat was not on the trailer at the time.
    Without the bar I concede the tramp is slightly less tight, but at least all the stress is now distributed over seven rows of zigzag stitching at each side.

All in all the absence of the knee knocker bar is a real blessing, I never notice the looser tramp (which is also due to my skimping on the lacing, which is not pre-stretched line).

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.